Wednesday, November 18, 2009

just one... but not really

Today, I filled out a response card to a friend's up and coming wedding. In the little spot reserved for number of guests attending I filled in a lonely number one. I laugh a little at how silly this sounds, but at that moment my heart became very sad. In the true fashion of a hopeless romantic and let's face it... a bit of an emotional girl...it is hard longing for the company of the person I share so much of my thoughts and dreams with but can't spend time with the way I would like to at this moment in my life. I put a lot of effort into not letting that longing get me down or distract me and instead focus on the many wonderful blessings that are coming from this season in my life.

In one way or another this lonely moment lead me to think of what God has been showing me this past week and a half. Love and the church. It is such a monumental topic but that is where my heart has been perusing lately. At church, activities, conversations, quiet time... it all keeps leading back to this. The major connection I keep seeing when studying about the church is love. The love that God has for those that make up his body of followers and the love that we are commanded to show each other as fellow believers and members of that body (John 13:34-35) Verse 35 has a particular impact on me since this is the kind of display I long to have... that all people know I am His disciple. Many very important aspects of that love that we are to show each other have been grabbing my attention.

The love we show in how we give. Give of our time, attention, money, etc. We give to each other because we are bound to each other by the beautiful and incredible mercy God has lavished on each of us he has rescued. We understand what God has given to us and it motivates us to give to each other with complete Joy. A couple of Sundays ago this was preached about from Romans 15 (Thanks Nik Brownell!). The last part of this chapter Paul talks about this kind of giving happening between churches. "There is no example of mediocre obedience in the New Testament" that made me reflect on my attitude at where i'm giving of my time, attention and money. The way we love each other is so important that in 1 John 3:14 it says, "We have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death." And again, in verse 17 the charge to love and take physical and spiritual care for our fellow believers carries much weight. This is evidence of our belonging to Christ, that he indeed is our Lord. My pastor keeps using the phrase, "We are embedded to each other" because of what the blood of Christ has done for us. wow!

This was the deep and gripping reality that washed over me when my heart fell a little low this afternoon as i filled out that little card. I am so thankful to be surrounded with people who love with a love that is motivated by who Christ is and what he has done. I am far from alone. I am just one... but not really! and that fills my heart with joy!

I end this with one last quote from Dr. Mooney (my pastor), "When we genuinely and affectionately embrace our identity as the church, we will portray Christ as he is and convince the world we belong to him." I praise God for his providence in providing fellow believers to walk this journey with. May you look around your life and see where it is that you may be needing to love deeper, love harder, and therefore display Christ to world that he may be glorified!

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope" Rom. 15:13

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of all that you are learning.. God is beautiful and I love having you in my life!!! You have taught me how to be a godly woman and I thank the Lord everytime I think of you

    ReplyDelete